A dinner-time staple, but also a fabulous brunch recipe too! I love to make this when I need to get rid of leftover veggies since any veggie combo tastes amazing in this Quiche. Only 379 calories for a whole serving of this complete & hearty meal.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Total Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/3 cup onion (1/4 of an onion)
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets (or any other green veggie you have on hand)
- 4 mushrooms
- 1/2 cup zucchini (optional)
- 1 Roma tomato (optional)
- 1 cup shrimp, cooked, deveined (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 10% cream
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup biscuit mix (I use Bisquick)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese (or Parmesan)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, part-skim, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, light, grated
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/8 red onion
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 2 Tbsp matchstick almonds
- 1/4 cup fruit vinaigrette, light (or your favorite dressing).
Preheat oven to 375º F. Add butter and oil to a large nonstick fry pan over medium heat. Dice onion and add to pan as you cut. Sauté until just translucent, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Chop broccoli into small bite size pieces and add to onion pan, no heat. Slice mushrooms and add to pan. Add whatever else you like, I like zucchini, tomato and shrimp, but you can put any veggie or cooked meat combo in that you like as long as it fits in the pan! The sky is the limit!
Separate the eggs. Put the whites in a medium size bowl and the yolks in a cup. Whisk egg whites until frothy. Add yolks, cream, milk, biscuit mix and pepper. Whisk together until well blended.
Spray a 10 inch pie plate (glass is best) with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into pie plate. Sprinkle vegetable mixture into egg mixture.
Grate cheeses and sprinkle over egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven on lower rack. Set timer for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and inserted knife comes out clean.
…while Quiche is cooking…
Rinse spinach in basket of salad spinner, spin dry and place on dinner plates. Sliver pepper and red onion. Layer these over the spinach. Sprinkle with blueberries and nuts if you like. Drizzle with your favorite dressing.
Our family loooves HP sauce on our Quiche – and ketchup is a popular choice too!
379 Calories, 22.7g of Fat, 19.3g Protein, 24.4g Carbohydrate, 2.8g Fiber