Here is another one of my super dooper easy family-friendly delicious dinners (say that 10 times fast) and only 426 calories! (it was on display on my last Cityline segment as one of the five meals) If any of you are hunting down any of the five recipes—don’t worry I’ll post them all! Tomorrow…Part 4 – Let’s talk Pantry Essentials!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
From page 120 of “The Healthy Family”
- 1 lb or 450 g ground beef, extra-lean
- 1 Tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp hot chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni, whole-wheat or white
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (24 fl oz or 680 mL)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, light, shredded
Light Veggie Dip
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, light
- 1/2 cup sour cream, fat-free or light
- 1/2 tsp garlic & herb seasoning, salt-free
- 1 1/2 lbs or 675 g precut veggies
Preheat oven to 375° F. Fill a large stove-top pot with water and bring to boil for pasta.
Brown meat in a large nonstick fry pan at med-high until meat is no longer pink. Add onion flakes and spices while meat is browning.
Place macaroni in boiling water and stir. Set timer for 5 minutes (or 2 minutes less than package directions).
Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream and spice in a small mixing bowl to make veggie dip. Let stand in fridge. Rinse veggies and arrange on a serving plate.
…when timer rings for pasta…
Rinse pasta in colander and let drain.
Layer the following ingredients into a large lasagna or cake pan in this order: 1/2 of the fully cooked beef, 1/2 of the cooked macaroni, 1/2 pasta sauce and 1/2 cheese. Repeat.
Bake uncovered in preheated oven. Set timer for 20 minutes or until top layer of cheese is bubbly.
426 Calories, 17.4g of Fat, 25.5g Protein, 42.4g Carbohydrate, 6.4g Fiber